Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Power of the Commercial - Top 3

One sure thing when you surf Youtube is that you will come across lots of TV commercials - from the latest to those that hark from even decades back.

I have been thinking of doing a collection of my favourite TVCs, but to be fair, you would likely have seen many of them if you have been doing the same thing as I have - which is to search Youtube for commercials or advertisements.

Nonetheless, I noticed that there are certain trends in TVCs from say, different countries, or different products. For example, Thailand has a penchant for coming up with the most comical commercials you'll see around; while Japan has some really weird offerings to boot.

But before I do a feature on any of those, here are my 3 favourite TVCs - rare gems that will not turn up so easily in a search these days - unless you have something more specific to look for.

In no particular order:

Mr. W
The sheer idea of this just blew me away. I am jealous.


Pantene 
Truly extraordinary commercial. The concept behind it, the metaphors used - are just brilliant. The only thing is the absurdity of it - Music is visible - apparently.


Reunion Dinner
One among a long series of Chinese New Year commercials commissioned by Petronas in Malaysia. Made by the late Yasmin Ahmad I believe.



No comments:

Post a Comment